Szentendre in Olden Times and Today Tourist Guide Sport Szentendre Pharmacies Surgeries Restaurants Masses Transportation Culture Parking Places Taxi Pubilc informations Galleries Eating possibilities Other services Museums and Galleries Travel Agencies To our guests attention Hotels, Pensions Szentendre anno and today Exhibitions - Regions The gate of the Danube bend The most significant cultural institutions of Szentendre Jewel of the Danube website (Hungarian Only) »
Dear Citizens, dear Guests!
Welcome in Szentendre! You can find a mixture of traditions, history, culture, gastronomy and arts, and we find it important that everyone - both inhabitants and guests - can find information about the news and events of our town. Szentendre is also known as the "Town of painters", and is the home of many fine artists and applied artists. As a result of this we have many interesting and exciting programs all over the year.
In Summer a variety of colorful events take place, like the Theater of Szentendre performances, whose season is closed by the festival of "Szentendre Night and Day", which was organized for the fifth time in 2010. In winter the cold days are warmed up with our standard exhibitions and occasional events.
Szentendre has been known not only as a significant cultural center, but also renowned for its location in a very special natural environment bordered by the Pilis and Visegrád - mountains and the Szentendre Island. Because of the outstanding natural beauty of this region we can offer a lot of useful information for those, who like hiking.
With our new website we wish to meet the requirements of the Inhabitants too. Our goal was to provide citizens with information not only about tourism, culture and amusements, but also about useful and important questions. We made the electronic administration easier, and the news, tenders available.
I hope, that this new website will help the visitors to find they ways to the required information.
If you have any remark, please write to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
I wish you a pleasant time on the new website.
Dr. Ferenc Dietz
Mayor of Szentendre
"Do you know where is Szentendre? This little town is situated on the right side of the Danube between Buda, Visegrád and Esztergom... Wonderful region! Before the small town the Little - Danube flows; in front of our eyes there is an island scattered with fertile villages over that the Big - Danube flows, there are the ruins of a Roman stone bridge. Behind and on the left of the town there are vineyards and beautiful hills... And that nice valley Szentendre between Pomáz and Buda is like a huge amphitheatre... Amazing landscape, wealth, pleasant wine, excellent water. What else do you need?"
These lines were written more than a hundred years ago by Jakov Ignjatovics. They are from the preface of his romantic autobiographical novel - entitled Respektus Vásza - about the 1848 - 49 Hungarian War of Independence. The enthusiastic sentences of the Serb writer are not only the feelings of a man whose ancestors found a new country in Szentendre. Talking about Szentendre Ignjatovics summaries the impressions of people of any age. The Mediterranean - like beauty of the area has captured everybody from Roman days to the present.
Szentendre in the time of the Romans
The Eastern border of the Roman Empire was the Danube. Ulcisia Castra (wolf camp) of Szentendre was an important part of the Roman fortification - called limes - running along the banks of the Danube.
It was built in the first years of the 2nd century AD on the present territory of the area confined by Dunakanyar - Paprikabíró - utca and Római sánc.
Archeological remains of Roman sepulchres in the Roman Lapidarium
The fortification which existed until the first half of the 5th century. Could accommodate an army of 1000 men. Its significance is shown by the fact that several Roman Emperors visited it: Septimus Severus in 202; Caracalla in 210 and Valentinianus in 375. The vicus militaris surrounding the fortress was the place where the soldiers' families and the craftsmen supplying the army dwelled.
While the fortress and the settlement around it were built to protect the frontier of the Empire, the villas on the confines of the town were built for completely different purposes. It was fashionable among the retired town - officials and army officers of the legion - called the veterans - to get an estate on the outskirts of Szentendre build a villa on it and to run a farm. Romans had a sense for natural beauties. They built their villas in the most beautiful areas: in the Pismány and Bubán; near the Dömör - gate and Ókúti stream. The latter one can be found on the present area of the Hungarian Open Air Museum. The ruins of Villa Rustica along one of the ways leading out from Ulcisia Castra, have been restored by archaeologists. The main entrance of the building was adorned by a portico. Its air - heated, marble mosaic ornamented rooms, and its bathhouse were covered with wall paintings and frescos. In the conduits of water pipes the water of the Ókúti - stream was flowing. Its yard with an atrium, its farm buildings and the tool finds make it probable that its owners dealt with vine - growing and kept an inn.
Szentendre lived its first hey - day in the Roman age. The Romans were the first who created civilisation in this area: they built roads, water pipes, stonehouses and made industry, trade, organised social life possible.
Archeological finds of a Roman sepulchre
In our time the memory of the Romans is preserved by some wall - ruins exhibited in the Roman Museum of Stonework Finds along the Dunakanyar körút, and by several streetnames: Őrtorony u., Pannónia u., Római sánc u., Római temető u., Római várkert u., Ulcisia - köz.
The large - scale road constructions of the Romans have influenced even the present structure of our town.
The limes road coming from Aquincum, touched the present Dózsa György út and Kossuth Lajos uca and went northward along the Fő tér and Bogdányi u.
At the beginning of the 5th century the Huns occupied our area. They were followed by different German tribes, traces of the Langobards have been found in Pannonia - colony. Almost hundred tombs have been excavated this is the biggest Langobard cemetery of our country. After the Langobards the Avars arrived. Their 250 year long rule has already more memories. The most valuable are the magnificent golden and silver finds of their sepulchres, from which we suppose that at the beginning of the 7th century. Szentendre was the princely centre of an Avar tribe. These masterpieces of the Avar goldsmith's art are preserved in Budapest at the National Museum.
The medieval Szentendre
Hungarians conquered Szentendre and its outskirts in the 9th century. Kurszan, one of Árpád the conqueror's chiefs, occupied it. His army and people used the Roman watchtower they found as a fortress. Their settlement was situated north of this fortress, on today's area of Orbán Cross. According to excavations they buried the dead here already in the 10th century.
Three generations later Taksony became prince and designated Szentendre as a summer resort for his general Apor. This fact is known from a charter kept in the Vall Chapter Archives of Veszprém. According to this charter the state organizer king István donated a Visegrád county village to the episcopacy of Veszprém. The village lies beside the Danube - says the charter - on the right side of this, the mouth of Aporig (pronounce: Apor - ügy) river can be found. "Ügy" meant water in old Hungarian language. Historians unanimously claim that the water of Apor is today's Bükkös creek and that the unnamed village is Szentendre. So the first charter mentioning Szentendre is from the time of the foundation of the State, and provides only a circumscription with a reference to Bükkös creek. Therefore the Bükkös creek is not only a natural formation for the people of Szentendre, but also the most important data of the history of the town.
Unfortunately, Szentendre has very few relics remaining from the Middle Ages. Therefore, every record and each piece of carved stone is precious for posterity. Sun - dial from the Middle Ages on the counterfort of the parish church
In the 12th century Szentendre is already a charter - issuing seat. Its Latin name (Sanctus Andreas) appears in the will of Fulco, Episcopal scrivener, written in 1146. The will was confirmed by a charter of II. Géza in the same year. Szentendre - like Óbuda and Visegrád - was a resort of the wandering Court at first. They had fortified manor houses and churches, around which fairs were held on Sundays. The resort of Szentendre probably stood in the place of the present Town Hall. The name of the town was given after the patron saint (St. Andrew) of the church standing on the hill above the manor house.
The later medieval settlement developed around the former manor house and church, along the Roman roads: roughly on the territory of today's downtown. Excavations made in the downtown have opened up the ruins of several medieval buildings; even the townwall has been found.
In the 12th century SZ was an archdeaconry residence, the Church centre of Pilis County. Its role and significance was determined by its geographical situation: it is located between Esztergom, Visegrád and Buda. The later charters from the 14,15,16th centuries mention: the custom - free treaty between Esztergom and Buda, their vine and ploughlands, the mills on the banks of the Bükkös creek, and houses of nobles.
After the conquest of Buda (1541) Szentendre fell into Turkish hands. Under the 150 years long Turkish rule the town was almost laid waste. It was liberated in 1684, but for a few more years it served as a march - place for the Christian armies besieging Buda.
The victorious battle of Szentendre (1684) led by Charles of Lorraine is commemorated by a plaque on the wall of a Károly utca building.
The temple of the Church Hill endured the Turkish rule also with great damages. In 1710 - twenty - six years after the liberation - it was rebuilt. It gained its present Baroque form in that time. Recently it was restored again in 1987 - 89 with a unique social collaboration among the people after the World War II. The Roman Catholic Parish Church is today's most significant historical building, the heart and symbol of the town. It's square serves as a place for summer performances, it is a natural lookout from where the picture of on 18th century town, built by the Serbs, is seen.
The Serbian town
As the Turk advanced forward on the Balkans, more and more Balkanian noblemen and priests began to withdraw with their people northwards. They hoped that Hungary would not be conquered by the Turks. According to some sources Bulgarians and Dalmats appeared in Szentendre already in the 15th century. The last and biggest group of the refugees (about 6000 people) arrived in 1690, after the Turkish rule. When they arrived the town was ruined, almost deserted. Their leader was II. Arsenije Carnojevics patriarch.
The Copf - styled portal of Preobazsenska Church.
The wrought iron leafs were made in 1803 - 1806 by József Olhauser smith master. The widely - known Serbian church - ales are held in the church and the courtyard of it.
Refugees arriving from different settlements and regions of the Balkans preserved their unity. With the leadership of their priests they built their wooden churches separately, and settled around them. A few decades later they replaced the wooden churches with stone and brick ones. According to our knowledge seven churches still exist from eight. Four of them have a name, which indicates the country from which the refugees arrived.
The Serbian congregation have built the Pozharevachka standing on the corner of the Kossuth Lajos utca and Vuk Karadzsics tér, the Chiprovatzs built Chiprovachka (today's Péter Pál Church). The Opovatzs set up Oprovachka (today a Calvinist church) and the congregation of Beograd erected Beograda or Száborna, the present Episcopal Church. The Roman Catholic Church of Izbég was also a Serbian church originally. Tanners put the Preobrazsenska Church up in the Bogdányi utca. Greek merchants built the Blagovestenska in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The triangular pedestal of the Memorial Cross is similar to the shape of the square on which it stands. On one of its side the old Slav inscription says: This cross was built in 1763 by the Serbian Privileged Merchants` Association of Szentendre. On the other side we can read the following: The same Association had it renovated with special attention in 1763. The third side says: Renovated in 1901. Three inscriptions three centuries.
Each of the Serbian temples was built in the 18th century and they are important works of the Hungarian Baroque architecture. The interiors of the churches are the masterpieces of the Eastern church craft.
Nevertheless, Serbian citizens did not build churches exclusively. They erected an imposing school building as well.
Pál Szofrics one of its later students sensibly described the internal life of the school.
The Catholic Dalmats formed a separate quarter, they settled near to the Roman Catholic Church of the Church Hill in Klisszan and on the Szamár hill.
Due to their tireless leaders Serbians gained several privileges from the imperial court, in return for their military achievements. Their privileges were: free practice of religion, election of judges, school foundations, language use and tax allowances.
The wealthy tanners (called tobakosok) of the town had the Preobrazsenszka church built in 1746. Its iconostas is one of the most beautiful work of orthodox religious art in Hungary. On its renovated side the fresco shows scenes from the Bible.
Privileges and diligent work bore its fruit: in the place of the medieval Hungarian Szentendre we find a flourishing Serbian town.
Getting rich had three sources: wine production, industry and trade with transportation. In two - three generations grape production was increased ten times. The excellent wine reached Austria, Bohemia as well as Poland by water and overland.
In the wall of the Orthodox Episcopal Cathedral's fence there are tombstones of Old - Slavic language, preserving the memories of former Szentendre families.
The wrought iron portal of the Cathedral - work of Márton Ginesser locksmith master- is a masterpiece of the Hungarian Latebaroque iron smithery.
In order to make the extent of industry and trade perceptible we enlist the guilds known from contemporary sources. Textile industry employed hatmakers, duvets, carpetmakers, furriers and gownmaker masters. In the wood industry woodsmen, carpenters, joiners, upholsterers and coopers worked. Tanners, shoemakers, furriers and saddlemakers worked in the leather industry, while metal industry gave work to goldsmiths, smiths and wheelwrights. Other craftsmen were seamen, ferrymen, painters, bakers and pipemakers.
The wealthiest citizens of the town were the merchants who owned vineyards. Under the name of Serbian Trade Association they founded a joint interest in 1698. Their guild existed almost for 150 years. They erected the Memorial Cross on the main square of the town as a token of their gratitude, because Szentendre escaped the great plague epidemic. The Kalmárkereszt has been announcing their love of the town since that.
The houses of Serbian tradesmen are located mainly around the Main square and its environment: today's Dumtsa Jenő, Bogdányi and Görög utca, and along the banks of the Danube. They stored their wine in huge cellars, they had with a little shop on the ground floor, flat above, and storage place in the attic. They used the material from the Roman and medieval ruins for construction. Their houses were often built on the foundations of earlier buildings. That is how the city has gained its present face, combining the medieval streetstructure with Baroque and Rococo buildings.
The significance of the town was further increased by the fact that it was the Church and cultural centre of the Serbs living in Hung. It became an Orthodox Episcopal seat. The leaders of the Orthodox Church always played an active role in preserving and increasing the political and economic privileges of the Serbs several churchleaders were members of rich families of Szentendre. During the Napoleonic wars many of their sons fought in the Habsburg army as army officers of high rank.
The century's characteristic figure was Ráby Mátyás who - according to his autobiography - was sent to Szentendre by Kaiser II.Joseph to examine the abuses of magistracy (treasury). In his novel entitled Rab Ráby, Mór Jókai the great Hungarian tale teller introduces him as the leading figure of the cause of the poor. Due to the film based on this novel, he is honoured as a freedom hero. A square and a restaurant has been named after him.
Szent - Endre
The age of changes
In the first half of the 19th century - similarly to the precious decades - great floods and conflagrations damaged the town, destroying all the properties of many citizens. The biggest flood - which was a nation - wide blow - inundated the lower parts of the town in 13 March, 1838. 172 houses were ruined. The highest waterlevel is marked even today by two contemporary plaques on the walls of the houses in Péter Pál and Kör utca, proclaiming: "Die Wasser hohe den 14 Marz, 1938"
The town preserves its 18th century atmosphere. House on Szamárhegy with a window in stone frame. The beauty of the man - shaped little town is rooted in details like this.
While floods did harm "only" people lived on the flatlands; in 1882 the destruction of phylloxera disease (a wine - pest) had its effects on the whole society of the town. The annihilation of the flourishing vine - culture led to a disaster, because in the previous decades everyone had invested into the profitable vineyards. Citizens who owned vineyards went bankrupt one by one. Wage - labourers working on plantations became poorer and poorer (according to registrations the forest regrew on Kő hill replacing plantations)
As opposed to other regions of Hungary where manufacturing industry and transportation had developed, Szentendre's traditional handicraft wasn't competitive and profitable enough. Because of the lack of capital Szentendre did not develop manufacturing industry. However, judging by capacity and employment figures, only workshops were established: brickfactory, brewery, paper, carriage, tool, production, quarry and woodfelling works.
The bust of Jakov Ignjatovics next to Péter Pál Church. Made by Frigyes Janzer sculptor.
By the end of the century - slowly though - the decline of the town had stopped. Jenő Dumtsa the judge and later the mayor of the town had the marshy area of the borders drained. Due to this order extensive ploughlands were gained. Ten thousands of fruit trees were planted replacing the destroyed vineyards. There was a boom in animal husbandry. The introduction of the local steam engine railway in 1888 brought important changes to the life of the society. More and more people found an opportunity to work in the capital, which quickly became industrialised. The first steamship started its way on the Danube too.
The structure of the town's society had changed. On the one hand, the loyalty of the Serbs to the Habsburg dynasty was unbroken because of the perception of their ancestors and of privileges they had been given. On the other hand, the general repeal of feudal privileges was unfamiliar to them. The independence of their old country - regained in the 19th century - attracted them as well. So, they returned home in large groups. Slovak and German settlers of nearby settlements replaced them. By the end of the century they were outnumbered by Slovak, German, and Hungarian speakers.
At the time the 1848 Hungarian War of Independence the town mustered the compulsory 300 members for the National Guard, but officially never sent an army to fight. Despite this fact several citizens of Szentendre participated in the battles, for instance, Jenő Neskó who had been defending Komárom as an artillery officer. When the War of Independence had been suppressed, he returned home. His father, Papaneskovics Enthimus was a rich and educated tradesman, member of the town council. He paid the expenses of the first archaeological excavations in Szentendre; he also received Hungarian nobility. The other well - known figure of the century was Ignjatovcs Jakov, who is cited in the preface. He had studied at the Piarists of Vác and at the Benedictines of Esztergom. He knew Sándor Petőfi and fought in the War of Independence as a hussar officer. After the capitulation he had returned to Szentendre, where his uncle, who was the police superintendent of the town warned him not to show himself otherwise he would be arrested.
The Avakumics köz in the downtown.
Later in his novels he gave an exact and sensible description of the lives of the town's citizens in Serbian language. A commemorative on his birthplace and a bust mark the honour of posterity.
József Petzelt lieutenant - colonel moved to Szentendre to his father in law after the revolution had been put down. He was the founder and headmaster of the Military School. He died in Szentendre; his sepulchre is a constant place of 1848. Commemorations, a school was named after him.
A famous native of the century was Ferenc Stéger Xavér an opera singer. As an excellent tenor he visited every contemporary opera stage of Europe. In 1847 he withdrew to his hometown. He willingly sang the operas of Ferenc Erkel and the composer himself visited him in Szentendre. In the town - where he was known rather as the son of the local druggist - he was respected among poor for his charity.
The most popular figure of the second half of the century was, however, Jenő Dumtsa mayor. A street was named after him during his lifetime. Because of his wide - ranging popularity and to the 18th century - like atmosphere of the town, tourists began to discover the Pilis and Szentendre. Alajos Hauszmann the notable architect of the age bought an estate of five acres in the outskirts of the town, and built a resort there in 1885. The immoderate deforestation near Dömör - gate was stopped by Jenő Dumtsa at his request.
The formation of different associations - like today's civil organisations - was typical of the age. First the Voluntary Fireman Association was formed (1874) followed by the Society of the Danube embankment, the Farmers Club and the Catholic Associations of Young Men. The Casino was founded in 1892. At the end of the century the Javor Serbian Churchsinger and Reader Group was established. Associations chose a favourite restaurant as a regular haunt, and the regularly returning tourists also recovered their strength always in the same garden. Folk traditions were alive, such as the midsummer fire - jumping of the Dalmats and the rain producing dodola dance. By the end of the century local press had also appeared Szentendre and its Outskirts was published in 1899, preceded by two papers existing for a short time (Torchflame and Szentendre Messanger) Intermittently, it served the town's interests up to 1916. Jenő Dumtsa said the following about this paper, published on Sundays: "I'm convinced of its ambitious work, it makes a careful and profound study of town affairs. "He said this in spite of the fact that the paper was a forum of critical remarks as well."
The millennium of the Hungarian Conquest was celebrated in Szentendre too. On 9 May, 1896 the mayor made a ceremonial speech in the general assembly. He entitled Hungarian Conquest a common festival for all the minorities living in the same country. In the assembly a millennial scholarship worth of 60 forints was voted, and financial aid was received by firemen, ten poor widows, and by the poor of the town, to the value of 50 - 50 forints. On the next morning a hundred mortarshots marked the beginning of the anniversary.
At 9, 10, and 11 o'clock members of the representative body visited a Lutheran, a Catholic and an Orthodox mass, respectively. In the evening the streets of the town were floodlit, and the firemen band gave a promenade concert. Memorial trees were planted in the courtyard of the Town Hall and by Orbán Cross. A marble plaque was put on the wall of the Town Hall proclaiming the following:
In memory of the millenial anniversary
of our beloved country's existence.
On 9 May 1896. Szentendre.
Citizens of Szentendre
In the millennial banderium of the capital Szentendre was represented by Husvik Lyubounir a landowner with his beautiful steed. Almost every resident of the town was living in the atmosphere of the calm days of peace.
The town of the painters
Let's begin the history of the "painter - town" with the memoirs of Miklós Bánovszki, who was one of the initiators:
The old Püspök street.
"In 1926 I spent my last year in the National Academy of Fine Arts in the class of the painter - teacher Réti István.
One morning we were thinking about a place where we could continue painting on summer. We wanted to find a nice natural environment, where we could work together. Then our friend Jenő Paizs - Goebel arrived. We told him that we had been talking about our summer stay. Jenő told us that his brother had visited Szentendre yesterday. This brother - Dr. Ödön Paizs - Goebel - was a journalist editor working for Evening Pages. He visited the mayor too. He was about leaving, when the mayor - Dr. László Starzsinszki - told him: 'Mr. Editor give me some advice! We have - I mean that the town has a little ranch two kilometres far from the town. It consists of three small houses. When the war was drawing to its end, we furnished it as a contagious hospital: we bought six iron beds, six straw mattresses and six blankets. Luckily we escaped epidemics. One of the small houses is rented by a woman with two children. But the other two ones are empty. What can I do with them?' Paizs Ödön - remembering his art student brother - proposed the followings: 'Mr.Mayor! Offer these houses free for poor art - students.'...The next day I went to Szentendre, and visited the ranch. Leaving the HÉV station and the military barracks I had to go left towards Budapest. The road with poplars along it was narrow and dusty... Well, the place was really a dreary one. There was a draw - well in the yard; its water wasn't pleasant. A collapsed pit half fallen to the ground... This was all. Parts of a scattered trunk were lying about. I was thinking. I thought it could be a place to lay our heads. If my mates don't like it, we won't accept it. I went back to the mayor and told him: 'We receive your offer with thanks.' The mayor asked: 'Please tell me, who else will arrive?' I mentioned some painters and sculptors, but I realised that he was absolutely uninformed with them. Then I asked his help, telling him that Nagybánya was made famous also by painters. If we settle here, we can make Szentendre to the town of painters too. We establish a colony of artists and discover the town. It is going to be a sight."
The painters' discovery of the town wasn't by chance since by the forthcoming 20th Century the rows of houses preserved the atmosphere of the previous 150 years. In the mornings herd of cows walked along. When the air become clear again after the dust, the town - servant appeared and he was beating his drum until - according to his judgement - enough people arrived. Then he said: it is proclaimed in the name of the captain that ... He made his speech in Serbian and German language too. Each time he mentioned the name of the captain he also raised his hand in a salute.
József Bánáti Sverák:
Detail of a Szentendre street.
A characteristic of the century's beginning was that several new associations were formed, where everyone could find the company suitable for him. Catholic and Lutheran scout troops, the Military Youth Organisation, the Workers Association, the Calvinist Gathering of Women, and in Izbég the Civil Reading Club and a choir were established. The Sport Club of Szentendre was set up in 1910, which unites not only the sportsmen but directs successful performances as well. The Town Development Association was formed in 1913. We also know about a skating association that organised a ball with a concert.
In 1914 the heir to the throne was assassinated. The news was heard with astonishment. Arnold Antolik mayor requested the employers to employ the relatives of the conscripts. At the end of the war a revolution broke out. Ferenc Kucsera, a chaplain, was shot by the Red Army because he had refused to tell them who gave the signal with the church bells for the upheaval against communist dictatorship.
Jenő Paizs Goebel:
Bükkös - bank with an ass barrow
After the World war I., revolution, and the Trianon peace treaty, life was slowly getting back to normal. Evidence of it was that in 1930 the St. Andrew Guild was set up as an offspring of the Casino, which existed until 1944. Its aims are acceptable even for modern civil associations: "We should foster and spread national culture, music, literature and art as well as search the data and literature concerning the natural endowments and the history of the town. We also should save the finds of excavations, preserve and mark with commemoratives the town's historic sites. By these means we can also develop social life in every layers of the society. The association's library, gaming room and lounge were a place of a vivid social life.
The number of local papers also increased in the age. Parties were formed which made an effort - especially during the days of local elections - to make use of citizens' attachments due to their religious, national and financial differences.
But having lived together for centuries families of Szentendre were used to differences. Relations between them become stronger and stronger, even marriages were frequent.
As for the economy of the town: quarry, cementworks, paper carriage and tool factories were in operation. Still, the majority of labourers worked for factories of the capital. They travelled by the local electric railway. Farming was extensive. Fruits of Szentendre such as: gooseberry, naseberry, nut, peach, apple and later the grape were in demand in the markets of the capital. Lajos Fischer established an infection - proof model vineyard of fifty Hungarian acres. Years later József Szűcs made a nationwide name for himself as a vine - improver. Yet because of the general economic depression, the majority of people had a hard time of life.
Nevertheless, by the middle of the century the population of the town had been doubled to about 10000 people. Citizens moving out from Budapest built villas along the railway and on the confines of the town. It came into fashion to make postcards of them. For many of them these villas - originally built as summer resorts - had become permanent residences. That is how Szentendre looked when young painters wanted to make it famous. Their intention has been justified by time.
In the third year of the conquest of Miklós Bánovszki and his mates, they established the Association of Szentendre Painters in 28 January, 1928. They elected Iványi Béla Grünwald as president, dr. László Starzsinszki and the prevailing mayor as vice presidents. The founder members were József Bánáti Sverák, Miklós Bánovszky, Henrik Heintz, Ernő Jeges, Béla Onódi, Jenő Paizs - Goebel, Lajos Pándy and László Rozgonyi. In the following year Jenő Barcsay joined them.
The exciled painters of Nagybánya had found a new home. They took an active part in the town's social and cultural life. In 1932 - 33 the Church Hill temple was adorned with the frescos of Bánáti József Sverák, Henrik Heinz and Béla Onódi. Some of them settled in Szentendre permanently.
Their exhibitions in 1930 and 1939 brought them the appreciation of the profession and society.
Up to the beginning of World War II. more than thirty painters worked in the colony or visited Szentendre, among them there were such illustrious representatives of the Hungarian painting as Endre Bálint, Gyula Czimra, István Ilosvai Varga, Dezso Korniss, Lajos Vajda and Erzsébet Vaszkó. Several of them - Jeno Barcsay, Judit Beck and Piroska Szántó for example - were living in Szentendre from spring to autumn, and moved back to Budapest only for winters. Béla Czóbel and his wife Mária Modok were changing their residences between Paris and Szentendre. Why did they like the town? To answer the question we cite an exract from Endre Bálint's work written in 1940:
"For a few years Szentendre has became a town of the painters. Every summer our artists representing different styles, go on a pilgrimage to Szentendre in large numbers. Arriving early in the morning they sit down to a corner of a dilapidated house, and begin to paint a detail of the town. A part from the painters the landscape is dominated by goats, without them the region is unimaginable. The painters' interest in the town increased since Nagybánya is ruled by foreigners. Their affection for the town can be explained in various ways. The interesting structure of the houses built above each other, the constantly changing colours of the town, the beauty of the hills surrounding it, the closeness of the Danube and an affection of uncertain origin attracting the artists... I think the first "great" painter of Szentendre was Károly Ferenczy. A host of painters followed him... Today there is already a School of Szentendre members of which are the most prominent young artists, and who have a strong effect on younger painter generations."
After the World War II. the silent village was a dwelling place for people disregarded by the new regime. Among them was Béla Hamvas who was gardening in the Bubán while writing a masterpiece of 20th century Hungarian literature: Carneval. László Német was writing one of his most significant dramas - Galilei-in the house of Ferenc Farkas.
It was only in the 1960s when Szentendre received nation - wide interest. Based on governmental and county plans the building of the Hungarian Open Air Museum began in the boundary of the town in 1967. The town was appointed to be the cultural centre of Pest County. Performances of the Szentendre Theatrum began.
Memorial Cross on the Danube embankment.
The Management of Pest County Museums was founded. Works of the Ferenczy family are stored in its main building. The historic buildings of the city were restored in order to provide a place for galleries and collections. The old colony of artists was renovated, and in 1969 a new colony was built in Kálvária út. The Folklore House was opened and in 1977 the Gallery of Szentendre was inangurated to offer a place for periodical exhibitions. In its catalogue the names of eighty - seven artists can be found. Szentendre had became the town of artists again.
The Danube Promenade - the town and the landscape are attractive on winters as well.
Three books of Jenő Barcsay were published (Artistic Anatomy, Man and Drapery, Form and Space) which have been translated into several languages. His international reputation is based on Artistic Anatomy; it is used as a coursebook for art students all around the word.
Tourism has assumed considerable proportions. Besides galleries the developing: Hungarian Open Air Museum and the Serbian Church Collection - established on the basis of a Yugoslavian - Hungarian treaty-are visited by more and more tourists.
Since the 18th century the Town Hall has been the seat of the local government. The original building was one - storeyed. In 1924, according to the plans of Manó Lessner a storey was built onto it. With its columned balcony and Neobaroque facade it is still a symbol of the town.
The painters' town is an inextricable part of several writers and poets' lifework. Between the two wars Lajos Kassák spent his summers in Pismány in the company of his painter friends. He writes about the town in his novel entitled A Soul Seeks Himself. István Vas also spent his leisure here, a report of these years can be read in his book: Why Does the Eagle Shriek? Many of his poems too, were inspired by the town. We already mentioned Béla Hamvas and László Német. In the last few decades Károly Jobbágy built a summer composer house. He published his poems written on the banks of Bükkös Creek under the title Szentendre Ale. Piroska Szántó who is also an excellent novelist - wrote Balam's Ass in the Hold utca. Summers spent on Petyina inspired many of Endre Vészi's poems. Károly Szakonyi wrote his dramas and short stories in his house in Hegyalja utca.
Imre Szántó was our "town mate" (his favourite expession) from his early childhood; he portrayed Szentendre as a fabulous town on his engravings and in his writings. The latter ones are collected in an anthology edited by Éva Gaján, entitled Szentendre Moments. Mari Tornai's first collection of poems - The Submerged Danube - has been also published in Szentendre. In its preface István Vas said the following: "a poet was born in Szentendre". Writers and poets of Szentendre (a book written by Erika Pethő Németh and Edit Sin G.) includes a detailed introduction of the artists mentioned above.
The downtown is lucky to escape the fate of the Tabán in Budapest., it won't be demolished, moreover the historic buildings are going to be marked by commemoratives. You won't find blocks of flats either. A Sight Commitee takes care of the town's face.
Townscape from Paprikabíró utca. On the right the Péter Pál Church, in the middle the Parish Church is seen, after which the name was given, on the left side of this the Town Hall, which has also medieval foundations.
In the background the Orthodox Cathedral.
The Pest County Education Centre and Library was established in 1975. In its hall you can see the world famous Szentendre mosaic of Jenő Barcsay. This new well subsidised institution has a stimulaling effect on the cultural life of the town. Programmes of the Szentendre Summer are of a high standard,. Local citizens gained such cultural and entertaining possibilities which were unimaginable previously. Due to the autumn and winter guest performances of Népszínház, Vígszínház and Madách Theatre the plays of István Csurka, Tibor Déry, Tibor Gyurkovics, Gyula Illyés, Ferenc Molnár, István Örkény and Áron Tamási were seen. And these were only the Hungarian authors.
However, by the 1970s - because of the irregular development- a huge gap arose between the citizens cultural facilities and living conditions.
Only by the end of the decade was it perceived that one who does not feel like home in his town cannot be a good host. To solve the problem colony like home buildings began in Dózsa György út, Rózsakert, Füzespark, Vasvári Pál utca and today's Püspökmajor housing estate was constructed. Pismány, Szentendre's Rózsadmb (the district in Budapest where the richest live) was built up with detached houses. The infrastructural backwardness of the town has been improved. Public - service corporations have been found. A shopping centre, a surgery, a new pharmacie, an ambulance station and a new post office have been built.
The foundation of Barcsay Jenő Primary School is of great importance because it has ended the education in two shifts. The Móricz Zsigmond Grammar Scool, the Rákoczy School and the school in Izbég will get a modern building, a swimming pool and a gym respectively. In 1980 the Dunakanyar boulevard was ready. It was favourable to the traffic of motorway No 11., but it tore the town in two with its four lanes. The traffic of the town has also improved a lot.
Under the shadow of the guided cultural life of the 70s and 80s, individual and group interests also appeared on the scene. The youngest generation of artists established the Vajda Lajos Museum. The Centre of Graphics, the Szentendre Workshop Gallery, the Art'éria Gallery, the Péter Pál Gallery and, as a private enterprise, the Metszet Gallery, were set up. Along the Dunakanyar boulevard the monumental stone statues of Dezső Mészáros were uprighted. In 1987 the Szentendre and its Outskirts weekly paper was born, and it was published without the permission of the supreme authority.
Western European and American exhibitions of the artists are not controlled any more. More and more opposition guest lecturers were invited to the programmers of the Petőfi Cultural Society. On the sessions of the Town Council people were pondering the matter: whether a multi - party system would come into existence in Hungary.
In 1989 after the change of regime, civil life having been interrupted for 40 years - started again in Szentendre too. Besides economic changes, ways of thinking have also changed. Citizens became members of political parties and established associations with the aim of achieving their short or long term purposes. Today, civil organisations can be found in every area of life, For example: neighbours taking care of each other, Association of the Physically Disabled, Environmentalists' Association or the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Not to mention the cultural, religious and sport societies. A special type of society is the association representing the interest of a particular part of the town. They are important partners to the town leadership. Media is present in the form of local press and radio. There are attempts to set up a local television. The cultural and religious life and the charitable activity of the Churches have been fulfilled. There are public concerts in their churches. The Catholic Church maintains a primary and a secondary school, while the Lutheran Church wants to found a grammar school and a college. The society of active citizens is taking shape.
Thanks to large - scale construction during the last decades, today the town has a school system adjusting to modern times.
When the Pest County Education Centre and Library had been closed, the Dunapart Art Centre came into existence. The Filibily Folk Choir, the Javor Choir, the Kecskés Band, the Musica Beata Mixed Choir, the Régizenei Band, the St. Cecilia Choir, the Chamber Orchestra of Szentendre, the Szentendre Folk Dance Group and the Vujicsics Band, all with a great past, are important to us; and all are aided by the town.
In recent decades the town was free to decide on its foreign relations. Szentendre's present twin towns of (approximately the same population) are: Wertheim of Germany, Huntingdon and Godmanchaster of England, Salon de Provance of France and Zilah of Romania. More and more young people participate in the mutual exchange visits. Competitions are frequently won by the youth of Szentendre, and they can experience the use and pleasure of speaking a foreign language.
In Szentendre - partly within schools, partly outside them-there is a vivid sport life. Either as a sportsman or as a fan or even as a sponsor anyone can take part in the following branches of sport: table - tennis, baseball, judo, angling, running, soccer, (room for five - man game as well) archery, riding, karate, cycling, handball, basketball, shooting, chess, tennis, hiking, swimming.
The prohibitory and supporting policy of art does not exist any more. The artists of Szentendre can pursue their creative art freely: they can exhibit and form associations. Szentendre Art has became a known all around Europe.
The belief that instead of individual, partial and occasional exhibitions the art of Szentendre as a whole should be introduced is not a new one. Artists and patrons have been thinking of it for a long time. Pál Deim painter realised that the ex - sawmill of Bogdányi utca is suitable for this purpose. To carry out his idea the Szentendre for Art Foundation was endowed in 1991., presided over Pál Deim himself for a long period. The programme is in the phase of realisation. Leadership and citizens of the town look forward to the construction of the Art Mill with great expectations.
According to Ferenc Hann, an art historian, the so - called Szentendre art has not been described yet, and in fact it cannot be described. Once Jenő Barcsay said: "I was living in Szentendre and evolving my painting - for which it was worth living and fighting. In the things seen in Szentendre and in nature's phenomena there is life, there is art. Forms, colours, lines - observed only by a painter - are alive."
Is it so simple? Nevertheless, genius loci this unapprehendable transcendence, and its continuous work is proved by the art of Jenő Barcsay and Lajos Vajda. Its existence is also verified by the fact that the town has such strong - minded natives as László Balogh and his sovereign work of life, Pál Deim, the deceased László Kósza Sípos, and the autonomous sculptor Ádám Farkas, together with János Lehoczky who is a reviving the earlier art of smithery. They all have been accompanied by the genius loci.
The town lives with its environment and neighbours. In Szentendre the gate of the Danube bend opens and the vast forest of the Pilis can be seen. Years can pass while discovering the beauties of Dömör - gate, Kő - hill, Lajos - stream, Rám - chasm and Sztara - voda, climbing the peaks of Hirsch - orom, Nagy - Kevély and Prédikálószék. Looking down from Vörös - kő summit we feel like cycling along the hilly Szentendre - island from Oroszi to Monostor.
We are in trouble if we have to choose between the beaches of Leányfalu and Lepence and a boat - ride on the Szentendre - branch of the Danube.
When Béla Czóbel did not paint in his atelier in Paris, he worked in Szentendre. His house used to stand where his sculpture can be seen today. It was made by Imre Varga sculpture - artist and unveiled in 1977 by Czóbel`s friend the writer István Vas.
Inquirers - residents or tourists-can visit the Regional History Collection in Pomáz, the medieval ruins of the Cistercian monastery in Pilisszenkereszt, the Memorial House of Hiking in Dobogókő, and the Móricz Zsigmond Collection of Leányfalu. In Visegrád one can make a tour touching the lower castle, the Salamon - tower and the Royal Castle. Looking down from the citadel we can meditate on the medieval greatness and millennial history of Hungary.
Hungarian Open Air Museum
The museum was established in 1967. It exhibits the folklore architecture of different regions of Hungary and introduces the life style of the different layers of the countryside and country - towns, with original buildings and commodities from the end of the 18th century to the middle of the 20th century. Buildings are grouped according to the regions they are typical of. There are about eighty houses, three churches, seven mills, several craftsman workshops and almost two hundred farm - buildings (barn, stable, apiary, sty...etc.) The plant cultivation of the various regions is faithfully reflected by the historical gardens.
Up to today the introduction of three regions - Upper - Tisza, the Plain in Northwestern Hungary and Western Transdanubia-have been completed. At the highest point of the museum stands an 18th century wooden church brought from Mándok. The building of the Great Hungarian Plain country - town is in progress.
By the turn of the millennium the opening of the Bakony, Balaton - Upper Hungary section is planned.
Walking among the churches, houses and farm - buildings the visitor feels as if he were walking in the original villages. Here, in this exact environment he can make himself acquainted with national traditions and cultural heritage reflected in the building, furniture and life style models. He can discover rare or forgotten professions, handicraft, traditional peasant foods and their recipes and, last but not least, the traditions and festivals of the countryside.
The main square of the town is mostly visited in the summer, however it is not less spectacular after a fresh winter snowfall. The public's Christmas Tree on Fő tér.
We endeavour to maintain a "living - museum" by making the things exhibited speak.
On Sundays folk artists and craftsmen introduce the trick of their professions and they willingly teach the inquirer - whether an adult or a child. Traditions of peasant festivals in connection with the hard - working weekdays, farm works and anniversaries of the calendar are evoked by tradition preservation groups. Taking part in these programmes the visitor is not only a passive admirer, but by his active participation he discovers the rich storehouse of our traditions. In 2000 a series of programmes, called Everyday Life in the Millennial Hungary will be held, several entertainment facilities will be awaiting Hungarian and foreign visitors.
Upper - Tisza:
At the centre of the spindled structured village with one main street, there is a Lutheran church from the 18th century, a belfry and a horse - driven mill. The buildings and the furniture of the four plots in the street reflect the life style of the Lutheran lower nobility and peasantry.
Country - town from the Great Hungarian Plain
This section is in the course of construction but two houses, a tanner a dyer and a baker workshop are already open. The animal farm is also located here, where we can find the typical Hungarian animals such as: cattle, mangalica pig, sheep, ass and fowls.
This section introduces the traditional construction of the south - western region of the country, which is rich in forests. At the centre of the village we find a belfry, around it a school with classrooms, the teacher's home and the house of the village judge. The latter one is specially constructed for the blind (and the weakly sighted). Not too far from this, on the top of the hill we can see a typical fenced house with archaic furniture from the beginning of the 1800s.
Plain in North - western Hungary
Next to the entrance of this section a chapel - erected in honour of St. Ann - stands. On the right side of the village there are stone and brickhouses built in country - town style. They represent the special furnishing culture of Hungarian and German people who used painted furniture. On the left, leaving the smithery there are older soil - made houses with thatched roof. Here we can also see a weaver workshop, a chandler's shop and one of the oldest buildings of the museum from 1736.
Eastern church and cemetery from Mándok
The church was built in 1670 by Rusin and Hungarian believers. Its iconostas was made in the 18th century, while its benches are from the second half of the 19th century.
Building remains of Pannonia province from the 3 - 4th century, with an extension of 6000 m2.
Handicraft and traditionalist programmes
Profession presentations and traditionalist programmes are organised for extra fee if there is a demand. Because of preparation and listing, claims should be handed two weeks before at the Cultural Department.
Guided tours are available for registered adult and children groups, in Hungarian, English, German and French language.
Next to the entrance a snack bar, a brassiere, an ice - bar can be found. The Öregpatak restaurant - located on the museum's territory - serves country food. In the Western - Transdanubia section the faithfully furnished Rédics cellar waits for you with wine tasting possibility.
Recreation parks, playground
On the territory of the museum there are several recreation parks next to the sections and along the stream there is a playground.
In Portéka shop next to the entrance, exhibition catalogues, books, postcards, folklore articles can be bought. In the paperdipping workshop there are regular presentations and their articles are for sale. In the faithfully furnished chandler's shop of the Plain in Northwestern Hungary you can buy special sweets, traditional folklore articles and games.
How to get to the museum
The museum is 30 kilometres far from Budapest, located in the outskirts of Szentendre under the Pilis Mountain. It lies on a territory of 50 acres. There is a bus connection between it and the HÉV terminus (stand No 8). You can also reach it by travelling on the road leading to Sztaravoda, which is a branching off of motorway No11. The museum is 3 kilometers far from the embranchment. Cyclists are welcomed too they will find parking places as well.
Address: Szentendre, Sztaravodai út
Postal address: 2001 Szentendre, PO box 63.
Tel: 312 - 304, 315 - 723, 315 - 724
Fax: 310 - 183
E - mail:
Opening Hours: April-end of October, 9 am - 5 pm
Buildings are opened at 9.30 am
Ticket can be bought until 4.30 pm
Closed on every Monday, except Eastern and Whitsu
Art Mill - Centre of the fine arts
This is a common institution of Szentendre for Art Foundation and the Local Government. It is aided by the town, but among its supporters we find the Local Government of Pest County, independent and governmental associations, even the twin towns of Szentendre. The first phase of construction was finished in 1998.
The institution collects, processes and in its exhibition rooms - whose accommodation capacity rivals that of Mucsarnok - exhibits Szentendre art as such. It will be suitable for art colonies, art festivals and international biennials.
Its data bank can serve scientific surveys, on the basis of which studies can be made, as well as a monograph introducing Szentendre art in a way worth of its rank. Up to now there's only one work in relation to the topic: The Formation, History and Style of Szentendre painting up to 1945. It was written in 1977. By Haulisch Lenke.
The Art Mill will attract artists, art historians, collectors and patrons. It supports surveys in connection with Szentendre art, and has relations with creative workshops of related institutions. It makes its stressed duty to connect works of art with receivers and to keep in touch with the traditional media and the net.
The Art Mill provides an opportunity for visitors to meet the famous Szentendre art in reality. It induces them to spend a longer time in the town. (Address: Bogdányi u.32)
Serbian Orthodox Museum
Its collection exhibiting Serbian icons, goldsmith's works and other works of art is a unique one. The focus of the exhibition is on works of art taken from the treasury of Serbian Orthodox Episcopacy and from national Serbian churches.
The works exhibited reflect the important changes of Serbian Church - art taking place during the 17th and 18th centuries.17th century works of art uniquely represent the late effect of Bizantian art, while on the 18th century icons the complex influence of the West and East can be seen. Within the frames of post - Bizantian form of expression, the influence of the so - called " Italo - Cretic" style can be recognised on several icons. Among these "compex" icons the works of the so - called "zográfosz" iconpainters are especially popular.
Painters working in the second half of the 18th and at the beginning of the 19th century, distanced themselves from post - Bizantian form of expression, but were still guided by the Orthodox liturgy. They depended on the western European Baroque and Classical painting.
For a few years the institution administers the Serbian Orthodox Episcopal Library and Archives. Thus they were able to exhibit two Turkish charters, given to the Serbian monasteries of Grábóc and Ráckeve in the 17th century, and some significant incunabula written in Old Slavic language.
Address: Pátriárka utca 5., Tel:312 - 399, Fax: 314 - 457
Opening Hours: 1. May - 30. September 10 am - 6 pm
1. Nov - 30. April 10 am - 4 pm
(1. Jan - 28. Feb opened only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays!)
Not open on Mondays
Pest County Public Library
It was established in 1953, but after several changes of its centre and name it was reformed in 1994. It is an institution of the county government, but carrying out the duties of a local town library, it is also subsidised by the local government of Szentendre. Besides its general section it has a children - library, video - and fonotheque, and a rich local history collection.
Its document stock: 170000 books, 600 daily and periodical papers, 1200 tape - records, 5800 discs. Being a county library, this stock is a multiplied one compared to a library of a town inhabited by a population of about 20000. Its popularity is due to this richness number of its registered readers is 4900 people, who borrowed 96000 documents in 1998.
It also organises literary evenings and children occupations in its comfortable rooms. Provides an online information transmission. Its clipping bureau processes articles written about the town. It is also a publisher of some studies of local history.
Address: Pátriárka u. 7. Tel: 310 - 222.
Management of Pest County Museums
The management was established in 1972, in Szentendre. Besides its county - level activity it is also a local museum. It does researches on archaeology, and in its stockrooms it stores hundreds of works of art and local history documents. The scientific work of the museum consist of collecting, processing and exhibiting these.
The institution maintains the followings: Roman Museum of Stonework Finds, Ámos Imre - Anna Margit Museum, Barcsay Collection, Czóbel Museum, Kerényi Museum, Kmetty Museum, Kovács Margit Museum, House of Folkcrafts, Art Gallery of Szentendre, Vajda Lajos Museum, Ferenczy Museum. In this latter one the works of the Ferenczy - family (Ferenczy Károly and his wife Fialka Olga and their children: Valér, Noémi and Béni) are on a permanent exhibition. The Art Gallery of Szentendre exhibits mainly the works of Szentendre artists on temporal individual and collective exhibitions - accompanied by scientific catalogues. These exhibitions are significant ones of the Hungarian fine arts. In its exhibition halls there are sometimes temporal large - scaled local history exhibitions.
Other important result of the museum's scientific work is the monograph series entitled Studia Comitatensia and the recently started Szentendre Museum Booklets.
Address: Fő tér 6. Tel: 310 - 790
The Szentendre Theater
The idea that theatrical performances should be held on the main square of Szentendre was born 30 years ago in the minds of students studying at the college of Dramatic and Cinematic Art. Their leader was Gábor Zsámbéki who has already became a famous director in Hungary as well as in Europe. The town's closed main square, the mouths of streets running to the square, 18 century houses natural scenery and the genius loci were given - only plays fitting to it and connoisseur actors and directors had to be found. The idea was supported by well - known professionals leaded by András Békés - famous director of the Opera, and teacher of the College. The final name of the open - air performances has also born Szentendre Theater.
On the summer of 1969 the memorable plays: Comico - tragoedia and Prince Pikko and Jutka Perzsi were performed, directed by András Békés. The musical leader of the legendary performances was Géza Oberfrank conductor, later the musical director of the Opera. To Prince Pikko and to the Steel Mirror of Virginity the music was composed by Tihamér Vujicsics. Protagonists were: István Szatmári, Gyula Szabó, Gábor Mádi - Szabó, Antal Konrád, Irén Psota and Lajos Básti; but even walk - on parts were performed by excellent actors and actresses such as: György Cserhalmi, Gábor Maros, Ildikó Hámori, József Székhelyi, László Szacsvai, Péter Valló, Tamás Ascher and later Géza Hegedűs D. These were followed by other successful performances: Twelfth Night; or What You Will, The Comedy of Errors, The Knight of La Mancha, Dundo Majore. Operas were also performed - Cinderella, Don Pasquale, The Marriage of Figaro - by excellent and popular artists like József Gregor, Mária Zemplén, Mária Studlik and others.
After the cessation of the main square performance possibilities, a new permanent place for the performances was found: the Town Hall's yard. Differently though as previously the miracle of Szentendre Theater amazes the audience again and again on nice summer evenings.
Culture House on the Bank of the Danube
One of the oldest cultural institutions of today's Szentendre, its present name was gained after the change of the regime.
On autumns and winters it serves mainly local residents' interests. It supports more than 30 clubs and courses it makes a home for associations. Theatrical performances, concerts, film projections for adults, youngsters and children are also held here. Its art bands - Musica Beata Choir, Szentendre Chamber Orchestra and Szentendre Folk Dance Ensemble are frequent participants of the town's festivals.
From 1958 they have been organising a series of programmes called Szentendre Culture Days, later Szentendre Weeks and Szentendre Summer which makes the town's life colourful in every year. At the beginning the program was titled to local residents only, later to the Danube bend, and since 1968 it is accompanied by nation - wide interest.
Their programmes offer classical concerts and the performances of famous bands like: Vujicsics, Muzsikás, Téka, Bekecs and others. The performances of minority bands - Serbs of Pomáz, Slovaks of Pilisszántó and Germans of Pilisvörösvár-are inevitable. Invitation of bands beyond the frontier of our country, is a conscious ambition.
It is a peculiarity of Szentendre that the performances of Culture House on the Bank of the Danube are held at different places, for example: in the huge cellar of the institution, the so - called Cave, in the Local Theater, in the Ceremonial Hall and yard of the Town Hall, in museum gardens, at the Main Square, in the bank of the Danube, or at other public places.
Address: Duna korzó 11/a. Tel./Fax: 312 - 647
A group of Szentendre artists left Műhely Gallery in 1986, and established the first private gallery before the change of regime - independent from governmental art - trade. Its members, who belong to different generations, follow different kinds of schools, but together they represent an intellectual trend for which only Szentendre can be a firm ground. From the gallery - situated opposite to Town Hall-several panel paintings, graphics, plastics and other works typical of the end of century, which cannot be classified as traditional categories, are taken to national public and to foreign private collections.
Address: Városház tér 1. Tel: 310 - 311
Vajda Lajos Cellar Workshop
The workshop was founded in 1972, as an initiation of young artists. Its members already belong to the middle generation of artists. They are characteristically different from each other, but all of them are progressive, abstract artists. They are regular participants of national and outlandish exhibitions, either private or collective. The VLS has strong relations with other national and foreign art groups, among which we find the Patak Group and the Marosvásárhely Workshop of Romania as well as the Mythen Group of Germany. Their cellar in Péter Pál utca - besides their own works-regulary exhibits the works of foreign guest artists.
Information: Pátriárka utca 7. Tel: 316 - 001, 310 - 593
Szentendre Center of Graphics
In the workshop - which is a local initiation from 1979-serigraphs are made. Serigraph is a kind of sieve-impression, where the pattern is made by the artist himself. Impressions like this are made in limited number of copies, all of which is an original work with the signature of the artist. Works made here and in this way - follow different schools. They are constantly exhibited in famous national and outlandish exhibitions, and collectors willingly buy them.
Address: Fő tér 20. Tel: 310 - 274
It is the first gallery of Szentendre, opened in 1981. Its 18th century building is one of the most beautiful sights of the Main - Square. The inquiring and purchasing visitors can see the incomparable works of the Szentendre Colony of Artists, and the Nagybánya school. There is a contemporary group, whose members continue the traditions and preserve the mentality - their works are also on exhibition. It awaits the devotees of art with different thematic and individual exhibitions, where they can meet several curiosities.
Address: Fő tér 20. Tel/Fax: 310 - 139
Erdész Gallery has been serving its visitors for ten years. The upper two storeys of the three - storeyed building are occupied by the gallery. To its main profile belong the Hungarian and Eastern European avantgarde and constructive school of the 20s and 30s (Moholy - Nagy, Mattis - Teutsch, Vajda, Kassák, Bortnyik, Rodcsenkó etc.), the European School of the 40s and 50s (Bálint, Korniss, Szántó, Anna) and contemporaries of intellectual kinship. In the gallery there are 4 - 5 exhibitions yearly. Besides the groups mentioned above, world - famous classics are also introduced. (Dali, Chagall, Miro, Picasso) On the downstairs Hungarian and Western - European masters sale their jewels and pieces of fine workmanship. Among them the silver works of Péter Vladimir and the rings of his apprentices; the Secessionist glass works of Ágnes Szmetana, and the giftware of Márton Horváth are of great significance.
Address: Bercsényi utca 4. Tel/Fax: 317 - 925
A home - gallery of ancient atmosphere on Szamárhegy. It does not have regular opening hours, visitable only by former registration. It deals mainly with Szentendre artists - deceased or contemporary. On summers it organises exhibitions and other cultural programmes (concerts, performances, literary evenings). It willingly popularises forgotten or not well - known artists. Occasionally undertakes the execution of external exhibitions.
Address: Dalmát utca 9.
Péter - Pál Gallery
The gallery introduces the traditional and experimentative works of applied arts to its visitors. Besides the exhibitions of Szentendre and other national artists, it offers an opportunity for foreign artists to show themselves. Constantly puts up handicraft curtains, blankets, carpets and gobelin - wall carpets for sale. Also sales porcelain dishes, ceramics, caskets, enamelled costume jewellery. They make coloured window - glasses, wrought iron portals and gratings if there is a demand. The esthetical value and price of the purchasable works rival those of the international market.
Address: Péter Pál utca Tel. 311 - 182
Építész Gallery of Graphics
The profile of the gallery is to organise permanent and periodical exhibitions from the works of Hungarian architects. Exhibitors: József Finta, Ferenc Callmeyer, György Vadász, Zsófia Csomay, Bence Vadász, Miklós Hofer, Péter Czér, Csaba Virág, Péter Basa, Judit Z. Halmágyi, Miklós Miltényi, István Thurzó G., Éva Szántó, Gyula Zsilinszky, Gergely Fernezelyi, Ferenc Müller, Tamás Takács, Tibor Vákár, Katalin Doroszlay, Miklós Dobozi, András Schőmer, János Róth, József Szincsák, István Sárvári, József Kerényi, Gyula Rutkai, László Horváth, László Szegner, Gyula Bretz, Ákos Bolla, Tibor Gál, Endre Szűcs, Tibor Puskás, István Novák, Tibor Szántó, Ignác Fehér, Mátyás Borostyánkői, Mihály Kós, Zsolt Bánlaky, István Mányi, Csaba Fazekas, Szabolcs Bánszky.
Address: Martinovics köz 6. Open: Thursday - Sunday, 1 pm - 5 pm Tel: 310 - 019
The Sámán Gallery and Courtyard provides wide - ranging commercial and artistic service. The family enterprise consists of an antiquity shop, a little gallery and the nice covered courtyard. It is a place of chamber - exhibitions and handicraft presentations. On summers it maintains a pottery, where you can try working the potter's wheel. Among handicraft presentations you will find: wood carving, smithing and the ancient profession of making horsehair jewels. Also organises book presentations and other cultural programmes. The antiquity shop does not deal with sale exclusively. Its owners undertake the restoration of old lamps, smaller furniture and wrought iron gratings. Open from early spring to late autumn.
Address: Kucsera Ferenc utca 7. Tel: 300 - 050, 301 - 237
Vincze Paperdipping Workshop
The paperdipping master makes lasting watermarked papers with a two - thousand years old, ancient technique. The work is unique as a spectacle as well. Papers like this are made for artists, binders, advertising, banks and for his own pleasure. The scale of his products: charters made only in one copy, wedding and ball invitation cards, cards, envelopes, writing - papers, occasional greeting cards, bills of fare, wine - labels, bookbinding rarities, artistic aquarelle - and drawing - papers, and papers suitable for different kinds of graphical multiplying. He tackles graphical and typographical preparation and execution if there is a need. The workshop also offers an opportunity for artists to exhibit and to work at the place.
Address: Angyal utca 5. Tel: 314 - 328
Szt. Flórián Gallery and Fashion House
Recently a many - sided gallery has been opened in the exemplary restored corner house, next to the 18th century St. Flórián Chapel. To give a foretaste of their supply: piece productioned clothes of the high - leveled Hungarian workshops (Orlando Collection, Kamara Fashion Workshop, Valéria Fazekas, Klára Farkas, Sántha, Mezey), special furniture from the 19 - 20th centuries ( Art Deco, Secessionist, country - like.) They also sale commodes, sideboards, diner - sets, tables, cupboards, glass works, paintings, mirrors, ceramics. Besides these, there are regular exhibitions and fashion shows.
Address: Római sánc köz, Tel: 300 - 604
Palmetta Design Gallery
In the elegant downtown shop you can buy the works of illustrious national and foreign designers. For example: textile and glass works, ceramics, jewels, lamps and small furniture. The assortment of the gallery is enriched by contemporary paintings, graphics, sculptures and curious antiquities.
Address: Bogdányi utca 14. Tel/Ffax: 313 - 649
When spectacle - kitchen was only a dream elsewhere, the Aranysárkány realised it already in 1978. Attila Máhr professes that eating is a question of confidence. His little restaurant can accommodate fifty quests; every table and chair have been standing on its original place since the opening. The restaurant is amazing and full of feeling. Many famous people visited it, among who the kindest and biggest gourmet was Ferenc Karinthy the writer. He was a regular quest, and every time he arrived, ordered lamb. Later on the wrote a commendation, dedicated to the guests: "This restaurant is known in the country and beyond the frontier. The secret of their success is first of all the hospitability of its owners, its delicous kitchen and the atmosphere of the place." The continuity of this success is ensured since father and son take care of their guests together.
Address: Alkotmány u. 1./a Tel: 311 - 670
The inn evokes the spirit of the 18th century Baroque world, in a historical building from 1734. It has a room for 150 people. Open on every day of the year from 11am to 11 pm.
Address: Bogdány u. 30 Tel: 310 - 825
Bükkös Pension and Restaurant
The Bükkös Pension and Restaurant has been in operation since 1988, it is open in the whole year. It has sixteen rooms, a garden and a protected parking place. In its comfortably furnished rooms you will find a minibar, a telephone, a satellite television and a radio, your convenience is completed with the characteristically Hungarian breakfast. In their rooms - using the extra beds-they can put up forty people, but they can lodge larger groups in co - operation with the nearby (200m) hotel of the same level. In their restaurant the specialities of Hungarian kitchen are implemented with several draught and bottled beers. They tackle the full arrangement of manager trainings, courses, conferences and guided hiking tours. The new and regular guests are most welcomed in their pension built on the hills. Their motto is: "The comfort and cleanness of the home with Hungarian familiar hospitality"
Address: Bükkös - part 16. Tel: 310 - 772, 312 - 021
Chez Nicolas Restaurant
The restaurant is located in the old town of Szentendre, mellowed by age. The terraced restaurant looks onto the Danube; its excellent kitchen, elegant service and the piano music of the weekends offer an unrivalled gastronomic experience. Open on every day, except Mondays from 12 am to 12 pm. Its staff has a great past: they were working for the Bellevue Restaurant of Duna Intercontinental Hotel for years.
Address: Kígyó utca 10. Tel: 311 - 288
The Dalmát Pince near Rab Ráby tér is popular among local residents. Its stage is a place of a concerts, jazz, rock, pop and folk performances, and different kinds of cultural programmes. For example: performances, literacy meetings, photo exhibitions, film and slide projections, lectures on art history, talk - shows. Besides these, the café offers the open atmosphere of the place, and a possibility of contact with residents.
Address: Malom utca 5.
The previously state - owned hotel was bought by the Dombóvári - family. The new proprietors restored the building and the furniture adjusting to modern times. They maintain fifty double - bedded rooms with a bathroom in each, a restaurant, a brewery, a conference - room for sixty people; the hotel also has two balconies and a skittle - ground. The building is going to be enlarged with a conference - room for 25 people. The big garden enables to organise summer garden parties. It is easy to reach from motorway No 11. Opposite to it the beach of Pap - sziget can be found.
Address: Ady Endre út 28. Tel: 312 - 511 Tel/Fax: 312 - 497
It takes only two minutes to get to the hotel from the old town of Szentendre. It awaits guests, tourists and businessmen who want to spend their time in an elegant and hospitable environment. They offer the comfort of 23 exclusive rooms with bathrooms, they are equipped with telephone and minibar. Its elegant conference - room with modern technical machinery is a worthy place for conferences. Active leisure is also ensured: an indoor - swimming pool, a sauna, the near tennis and golf court and riding possibility make your free time varried.
Address: Paprikabíró u. 21 - 23. Tel: 301 - 081 Fax: 301 - 085
The inn can be found in the historical downtown, in the silent green belt. It is a familiar house with 7 rooms, but they have extra beds, so it can provide a comfortable accommodation for families as well. Every room has a shower, a toilet and a television in it. It serves breakfast for its guests. On the evenings you can enjoy yourself in the bar of the downstairs, or in the garden of the inn, where on summers you may use the grill oven. You can leave your car in the covered garage. They wait for you on every day of the year.
Address: Daru piac 2. Tel: 313 - 950
National Wine Museum and Labirintus Restaurant
In the restaurant gastronomy meets wine culture. It introduces 22 wine - producing regions of Hungary with wine tasting and purchasing possibilities. Visitors can also get acquainted with the viticultural tools of olden times. In the restaurant the delicious meals of Hungarian and international kitchen are served with Hungarian wines fitting them. In its rooms of particular atmospheres (hunter - room, Tokaj wine - house, roof terrace, inside terrace) individuals and groups are also welcomed.
Address: Bogdányi utca 10. Tel: 317 - 054
World - famous guests - world famous atmosphere. The Nosztalgia Café has been a notion for twenty years; a place where celebrated artists perform, where you find the Dobos Sweet Museum, where such delicacies wait for you as: the Nosztalgia capuccino, the Lictarium, the original Dobos cake... and everything is made according to the highest standards. Its "speciality" is that the host, Tibor Éliás occasionally surprises his guests with a nice Hungarian song, since he and his wife are both opera singers. Fall to the temptation of sweet nostalgia, and let us offer you the sweet memories of the past, and a journey in gastronomic past, based on the recipes of the Sweet Museum.
Address: Bogdányi utca 2. Tel: 311 - 660, 06 - 30 - 9210 - 928
Obsitos Café and Restaurant
A popular scene of family festivals and appointments. They can ensure a private room if there is a wish. It waits for you with peculiar foods and flavours, with a particular atmosphere and reasonable prices. Open on every day; hot dishes from 12 am to 11 pm; menus on German, English and French language are available. You can trust in an old foot - soldier!
Address: Telep utca 14. Tel: 315 - 564, 301 - 025
This trattoria with a southern - Italian atmosphere is located on the Danube Promenade. It is always worth dropping in for a fresh, oregano and basil scented pizza, for a delicious spaghetti or lasagne.
Address: Dunakorzó 5. Tel: 310 - 530
Rab Ráby Restaurant
Rab Ráby is a popular Restaurant of Szentendre. Its guests are artists, politicians, scientists and diplomats. The 18th century smithery was rebuilt in 1982 by Lajos Németh and his family, but they preserved the original style of the building. It was named after the immortal hero of Mór Jókai. Handcuffs and other tools of punishment evoke his and the former smithery's memory, and they do not intend to frighten the visitor, who should not be afraid: nobody has left the neighbourhood of the 170 years old wooden wine - press unsatisfied. Moreover, your memory will preserve the taste of the traditional Hungarian spices, the flavour of thyme and rosemary.
Address: Kucsera Ferenc utca 1. Tel: 310 - 819
Red Lion Pub
The first Hungarian establishment of the English network was opened recently. They wait for you with 5 kinds of draught and several bottled beers, with the choice of 28 whiskies and with steak foods. They also offer traditional pub games, a garden and prices payable to everyone.
Address: Szerb utca 2/a Tel: 318 - 607
The inn with 26 rooms stands on Szentendre - island, on the territory of the Danube - Ipoly National Park. If you decide to spend your free time here, you will find an untouched, natural environment where you can ride, drive a buggy, and on winters you can take trips with a horse slay. Its five - star restaurant in itself deserves the visit of cycling tourists and of those who arrive with the Szentendre ship. Even boat - riders will find a comfortable port.
Address: Szentendrei - sziget Tel: 394 - 195
In the one and only marzipan museum of the world, you can get to know the perfect example of marzipan making. They have more than 30 vitrines, exhibiting masterpieces like: the one metre sixty centimetres high House of Parliament, the relieves of our history's well - known figures, artistically made bride's cakes, beautiful marzipan pictures painted with food colours, Michael Jackson's two metres high white chocolate sculpture, and several Walt Disney figures together with other works. The familiar café serves non - alcoholic drinks: coffee, tea, hot - chocolate and cream made cakes.
Address: Dumtsa Jenő u. 12. Tel: 311 - 931
Vidám Szerzetesek Restaurant
The restaurant was opened in 1982 by the hanging of the inn - sign, portraying two angling monks. It has a menu of 19 languages, its foods remind us of old times. Many of the meals are local specialities - made only in this restaurant. Recipes of Suhajda soup, Joy of the monks, Monks' favourite and Borbíró loin were printed in many gastronomic papers. To their regular attendants belong: famous and popular artists, businessmen, leading politicians, diplomats and word - famed persons. Their praiseful words - lacking a visitors' book-are preserved by the banknotes on the walls. The restaurant is owned by István Dvorszky and his family.
Address: Bogdányi u. 3 - 5. Tel: 310 - 544
Tourinform Szentendre, Dumtsa Jenő u. 22. Tel: 36/26/317 - 965, 317 - 966
Tourinform provides detailed informations for tourists from Hungary and abroad, and for local residents about the museums, exhibitions, cultural and sport programmes, hotels, pensions, campings and their services, hiking possibilities.
Szentendre's postal code: 2000
Distric number: 26
Telephone inquiry: 198
Post offices: Kossuth Lajos utca 23 - 25. Tel: 311 - 322
Fő tér 15. Tel: 310 - 011
Fehérvíz utca Tel: 310 - 099
Mayor's office: Városház tér 3. PO box 54. Tel: 311 - 208 (reception)
Tel: 312 - 912 (general office)
Fax: 312 - 905
All - night surgery service: Bükkös part 27. Tel: 312 - 650 (17 pm - 7am)
Fire brigade: Martinovics utca 11. Tel: 105, 310 - 405
Ambulance: Bogdányi u. 31. Tel: 104, 310 - 424, 312 - 933
Police: Dózsa György út 6/a. Tel: 107, 310 - 233
Civil guard: Radnóti u. 6. Tel. 301 - 815, 310 - 907, 311 - 554
Afro - Zoom Travel Agency, Városház tér 4. Tel: 312 - 828
Brazilka Travel Agency, Rózsa u. 2. Tel: 319 - 019
Duna Tours Bogdányi u. 1. Tel:311 - 311
Jági Travel Agency, Kucsera Ferenc u. 15. Tel: 310 - 304
IBUSZ Travel Agency, Bogdányi u. 11. Tel: 310 - 181 Fax: 313 - 597
Voyage Hungarian Travel Agency, Bogdányi u. 30. Tel: 312.365 Fax: 310 - 574
Special bus service: Tel: 310 - 080
Bus time - table information, Tel: 311 - 996
HÉV time - table information, Tel: 06 - 1 - 368 - 8814 (non - stop)
Nostalgia train: Bp. MÁV, Tel: 06 - 1 - 302 - 3580
Ship time - table information Tel: 312 - 690 (season), 06 - 1 - 318 - 1704 (whole year)
Boat renting: Bp. MAHART, Tel: 06 - 1 - 318 - 1743
Központi, Tel. 301 - 111
Dunakanyar, Tel: 06 - 80 - 211 - 211, 06 - 80 - 311 - 111, 06 - 80 - 312 - 100
Főtaxi, Tel: 314 - 314
Next to motorway No 11, on the corner of Dunakanyar krt. and Paprikabíró u.
Front of the Teátrum Cinema
Along the Duna - korzó (no lorries)
In Dumtsa Jenő utca (no lorries)
In Pátriárka and Martinovics utca (no lorries)
Break - down gang: Autoklub Tel: 311 - 999 (7 am - 7 pm)
Cycle - repair: Balázs cycle shop and repairing, Dunakanyar krt. 22. Tel. 312 - 111
Alpin Trophy cycle shop, repairing and renting, Kossuth Lajos u. 17 - 19. Tel 319 - 215
Átrium Pension, Pátriárka u. 6. Tel/Fax: 301 - 800, 06 - 30 - 900 - 2871
Bükkös Hotel, Bükkös - part 16. Tel: 312 - 021
Cola Pension, Dunakanyar krt. 50. Tel/Fax: 310 - 410
Danubius Hotel, Ady Endre u. 28. Tel: 312 - 489
Horváth Fogadó, Daru piac 2. Tel/Fax: 313 - 950
Hubertus Pension, Tyukos - dűlő 10. Tel: 310 - 616
Ilona Pension, Rákoczi Ferenc u 11. Tel/Fax: 313 - 599
Kentaur Hotel, Marx tér 3 - 5. TelFax: 312 - 125
Panoráma Pension, Berek u. 32. Tel: 315 - 151
Pension Nr. 100, Ady Endre u. 100. Tel: 312 - 881
Youth Hostel - Camping, Pap - sziget Tel: 310 - 697
Provincia Hotel, Paprikabíró u. 21. Tel: 301 - 081
Róz Hotel, Pannónia u. 6/b. Tel. 311 - 737 Fax. 310 - 979
St. Andrea Pension, Egres u. 22. Tel/Fax: 311 - 989
Zita Pension, Őrtorony u. 16. Tel: 313 - 886
Anonymus Restaurant, Kucsera F. u. 11. Tel: 315 - 771
Aranysárkány Restaurant, Alkotmány u. 1/a. Tel. 311 - 670
Bárczy Fogadó, Bogdányi u. 30. Tel: 310 - 825
Chez Nikolas Restaurant, Kígyó u. 10. Tel. 311 - 288
Csülkös Steffl, Kisfaludi u. 2. Tel: 311 - 255
Elisabeth Restaurant, Fő tér 17. Tel: 311 - 175
Görög Kancsó Restaurant, Görög u. 1. Tel: 301 - 729, 301 - 644
Corona Restaurant, Fő tér 18 - 19. Tel: 313 - 651
Labirintus Restaurant, Bbogdányi u. 10. Tel: 317 - 054
Levendula Restaurant, Levendula u. 2. Tel. 313 - 629
Magyar Pince, Dunakorzó 7/a. Tel: 311 - 261
Obsitos Café and Restaurant, Tlep u. 14. Tel: 315 - 564, 301 - 025
Öregpatak Restaurant, Sztaravodai út Tel: 312 - 304/126
Parola Restaurant, Vasvári Pál u. 2. Tel: 312 - 621
Régimódi Restaurant, Dumtsa Jenő u. 2. Tel. 311 - 105
Rab Ráby Restaurant, Péter - Pál u. 1/a. Tel:310 - 819
Red Lion Pub, Szerb u. 2/a. Tel: 318 - 607
Várdomb Restaurant, Rákóczi u. 3. Tel: 314 - 455
Vidám Szerzetesek Restaurant, Bogdányi u.3 - 5. Tel: 310 - 544
Vadászkert Restaurant Ady Endre u. 6. Tel: 314 - 303
Dalmát Pince, Malom u. 5.
Dixi Csirke és Saláta Bár, Dumtsa Jenő u. 16. Tel: 311 - 008
Nosztalgia Café , Bogdányi u. 2. Tel: 311 - 660
Surányi Confetionery, Kovács Lázsló u. 3. Tel: 313 - 942
Szabó Confetionery, Dumtsa Jenő u. 12. TEL: 311 - 931
Culture House on the Bank of the Danube, Dunakorzó 11/a. Tel: 312 - 647
Pest County Public Library, Pátriárka u. 7. Tel: 310 - 322
Szentendrei Theater, Pátriárka u. 7. Tel: 301 - 088
Office of Szentendre and its Outskirst, Pátriárka u. 7. Tel: 310 - 294
Vujicsics Tihamér Music School, Dunakorzó 16. Tel: 318 - 441
If you want to request the art groups (choirs, bands, dance ensembles) of Szentendre and nearby Hungarian and minority settlements; information is provided by: the Culture House on the Bank of the Danube, Vujicsics Tihamér Music School and Mayor's Office.
Places suitable for conferences and lectures:
Városi Színházterem, (Pest County Public Library) Pátriárka u. 7. Tel: 310 - 322
Accommodation: theater room - 360 people with a hall and an exhibition room
ZMNE Egyetemi Klub, Dózsa György u. 12. Tel 312 - 888
Accommodation: theater room - 360 people; hall - 400 people and four exhibition rooms
Helyőrségi Klub, Dózsa György u. 8. Tel: 312 - 822
Accommodation: restaurant - 200 people and two private rooms
Ceremonial Hall of Mayor's Office, Városház tér 3. Tel. 311 - 208
Accommodation: 100 - 150 people
Pártok Háza, Dunakorzó 18. Tel: 312.233
Accommodation: 120 people
Zeneiskola, Dunakorzó 16. Tel: 310 - 024
Accommodation: 120 people
Places suitable for outdoor activities: Main square, Postás beach, sports grounds of Ízbég and Püspökmajor housing estate (information: Mayor's Office); Templom domb (informations: R.C. Parish Office Tel: 312 - 545)
Péter Pál Church (Péter Pál u.)
weekdays: 7 am (winter), 7.30 am (summer) and 6 pm (winter) 6.30 pm (summer)
Sunday: 9 am (winter, summer) and 11.30 am (winter, summer) and 6 pm (winter) 6.30 pm (summer)
Parish Church (Templom - Domb)
Sunday: 7 am (summer) 7.30 am (winter)
Church of Ízbég (Szentlászlói út)
weekdays 6 pm Sunday:10 am and 6 pm
Franciscan Secondary School
Sunday: 9 am (during the school year)
(Rákóczi Ferenc u. 14.)
Sunday: 10 am
Sunday: 11 am
(Rákóczi Ferenc u. 27)
Thursday: 6 pm
Episcopal Chatedral (Pátriárka u. 5)
Saturday: 5 pm (winter) 6 pm (summer)
Sunday: 10 am and 4 pm
Angling: Szentendrei Horgász SE Tel: 06 - 209 - 682 - 725 (Kis Károly)
Archery: Szentendrei Keső Íjjász kör Kossuth L. u. 13. (Jeles János)
Turul Íjász és Lovasíjjász egylet Anna u. Tel: 310 - 984 (Vígh Zoltán)
Cycling: Hegyimazsolák SE Tel: 312 - 111 (Nagy Balázs)
Hanggliding:Aeroglobus Repülő SE Dunabogdány Tel:06 - 20 - 9437 - 153(Magyar Attila)
Tennis: Szentendrei Polgári Tenisz Club, next to Teátrum Autósmozi Tel: 06 - 209 - 124 - 096 (Horváth László)
Tennis and beach volleyball: ELCOMP SE Postás strand Tel: 06 - 309 - 330 - 000, 06 - 60 - 330 - 000 (Somogyi Balázs)
Hiking, riding, boat - riding: HÓD Honismereti Túra Egyesület Tel: 06 - 1 - 462 - 0099 (Árpássi Miklós)
Swimming: Szentendre, Pap - szigeti strand, Tel: 310 - 697 (season); 310 - 909 (whole year)
Leányfalu, strandfürdő Tel: 383 - 370
Visegrád - Lepence strandfürdő Tel: 398 - 208
Water sport: VITAL SE Boat house next to the ship station Tel: 06 - 209 - 824 - 397
Places for indoor activities: The gyms of Barcsay Jenő Általános Iskola (Tel: 310 - 934) and Móricz Zsigmond Gimnázium (Tel: 310 - 408)
District polyclinic: Bükkös part 27. Tel: 318 - 018
Specialist clinic: Kanonok u. 1. Tel: 312 - 299
Children's clinic: Dunakanyar krt. 32. Tel. 310 - 075
Dental surgery: Bükkös part 36. Tel. 311 - 313
Veterinary: Szentendrei Kisállatklinika, Bogdányi u. 41. Tel. 314 - 287
Szentendrei Árvácska Állatvédő Egyesület Tel: 314 - 799 Masány Ilona 312 - 290 Horn Edéné
Városi pharmacy: Kanonok u. 3. Tel: 310 - 487
Szent Endre pharmacy: Paprikabíró u. 1/a. Tel: 310 - 868
Vasvári pharmacy: Sas u. 10. Tel: 312 - 825
Andrea pharmacy: Hamvas Béla u.2. Tel. 310 - 828
Meteorology: Kellár Stúdió Dunakanyar krt. 28/a. Tel: 315 - 788
Waterworks, Kalászi u. 2. Tel. 310 - 722Canalization Works,: Tel. 310 - 389
Electric Service: Dózsa Gy. u. 81. Tel: 312 - 210
Public Hygiene, utilzation of waste materials Szabadkai u. 9. Tel. 310 - 788
Gas cylinder: settlement, Vasúti villasor Tel: 312 - 696
Pest Megyei Múzeumok Igazgatósága, Fő tér 6. Tel: 310 - 790
Anna Margit - Ámos Imre Collection (permanent exhibition), Bogdányi u. 10.
Barcsay Collection, (permanent exhibition), Dumtsa Jenő u. 10.
Blagovestenszka Serbian Orthodox church (open to public only in summer), Görög u.
Czóbel Museum, (permanent exhibition of Béla Czóbel and his wife Mária Modok's works), Templom tér 1.
Ferenczy Museum, (permanent exhibition of the Ferenczy family's works: Károly Ferenczy painter, Olga Fialka paintress and graphic artist, their children: Valér Ferenczy painter, Béni Ferenczy scuipturer and Noémi Ferenczy gobelin artist), Fő tér 6. Tel: 310 - 244
Kerényi Jenő Memorial Museum, Ady Endre út 5.
Kmetty János Memorial Museum (permanent exhibition), Fő tér 21.
Kovács Margit Ceramic Museum (permanent exhibition), Vastagh György u. 1.
Mészáros Dezső Sculpture Park, Dunakanyar Krt.
Art Mill, Bogdányi u. 32.
House of folk - arts, Rákóczi u. 1.
Roman Lapidarium, Dunakanyar Krt.
Szentendrei Képtár (temporary exhibition), Fő tér 2 - 5.
Szerb Egyházművészeti Gyűjtemény (permanent exhibition of Serbian relics), Pátriárka u. 5. Tel: 312 - 399
Vajda Lajos Memorial Museum (permanent exhibition), Hunyadi u. 1.
Városi Tömegközlekedési Múzeum (Museum of public Transport closed in winter), Dózsa Gy. u. Tel: 314 - 280
Baba Múzeum ( Doll Museum, permanent exhibition), Sas u. 18. Tel: 316 - 468
Bormúzeum (Wine Museum, permanent exhibition), Bogdányi u. 10.
Dobos Sweetshop and Gastronomic Museum (permanent exhibition), Bogdányi u. 2. Tel: 311 - 660
Marcipan Museum (permanent exhibition), Dumtsa Jenő u. 12 Tel: 311 - 931
Anna Gallery, Sánc köz 2. Tel: 313 - 939
ARS Amandi Panoptikum, Malom u. 4/a Tel: 312 - 894
Artéria Gallery, Városház tér 1. Tel: 310 - 311
Barcsay Iskola Gallery, Kálvária u. 18. Tel: 310 - 934
Céh Gallery, Bercsényi u. 3. Tel: 312 - 067
Christoff Gallery, Bartók Béla u. 8. Tel: 319 - 583
Domb Gallery, Alkotmány u. 14. Tel: 319 - 086
Épitészgrafikai Galéria (Gallery of Graphics) Angyal u. 6. Tel: 319 - 790
Erdész Gallery, Bercsényi u. 3. Tel: 317 - 925
Metszet Gallery, Fő tér 15. Tel: 312 - 577
Szentendrei Gallery, Fő tér 20. Tel: 310 - 139
Művésztelepi Gallery, Bogdányi u. 51. Tel: 311 - 463
Palmetta Design Gallery, Bogdányi u. 14. Tel: 313 - 649
Péter - Pál Gallery, Péter - Pál u. 1. Tel: 311 - 182
Tasi Restaurant and Gallery, Mester u. 6. Tel: 316 - 315
ZMNE Kossuth Gallery, Dózsa György út 12. Tel: 312 - 135
based on the works of
Edit G. Szin Dr.
Katalin Szentendrey Katona, Dr
Erika Pethő Németh
Katalin Sándy Wolf
Public Information compiled by
SZNM archives (Péter Deim)
STOLL Nyelvstúdió és Forditó Iroda
Editor: Beatrix Nemeshazi
Editing closed: 20th February 1999.
Szentendre Town Council
Gábor Miakich, Mayor